In my last post I described how the Jacobites captured Fort George at Inverness in February 1746. They then moved south to besiege Fort Augustus, which was at the southern end of Loch Ness. This was a “modern” Vauban style fortress, with four bastions, but it suffered from a couple of fundamental flaws in its design. Here is an old print of it.
The “modern” Fort George is a Vauban style fortification to the north of Inverness, but this was built after the Jacobite Rebellion. In 1746, Fort George was the name given to the old medieval castle guarding the bridge to the south of Inverness. I decided I needed a Medieval castle to represent this, and explained how I created it in my last post.
The castle reverted to its original name of Inverness Castle after the Jacobite Rebellion and was considerably expanded in the 19th Century. However I found an old print of it in 1746 and realised that at that time it was mainly a keep plus curtain walls extending out along the banks of the River Ness towards the town.
All of the 19th Century extensions were built on the ground in front of the castle from this view.
The Jacobites conducted several sieges, but were hampered by the lack of suitable artillery. This was partially solved by the landing of some heavier French guns in November 1745. These comprised 2 x 8 pounders, 2 x 12 pounders and 2 x 16 pounders. I decided to model these on my standard 18th Century ratio of one model per two real guns, so just one of each calibre. I use different manufacturers models to portray guns of different calibres and mix up carriages and tubes (gun barrels) to suit as shown below:
I decided to model a 6 Pounder battery of three models guns, representing six real ones. As mentioned in my article on 18th Century Artillery, I have used model guns from different manufacturers to represent various calibres. In the Napoleonic era most nations simplified their gun carriages to a smaller number of sizes, each of which could be used for a range of calibres. However, in the 18th Century virtually every increase in calibre was accompanied by a larger gun carriage.
I had previously used IMEX AWI American Artillery pieces to represent British 3 Pounders, as shown on the left of the picture below, and I have now used the larger Revell SYW Austrian Artillery pieces to represent British 6 Pounders, as shown on the right of the picture below.
I have published a new article in my Military Historical Research section. It is on Napoleonic Artillery and can be seen here: Napoleonic Artillery.
The article was originally drafted over 20 years ago as part of a book which I never finished. There is much better research on Napoleonic Artillery available now, such as books by Kevin Kiley, Anthony Dawson, Paul Dawson and Stephen Summerfield. However, having published articles on my similar old research into Infantry and Cavalry, I thought that I would add this one for completeness.
Well, I have finally finished my Jacobite Field Artillery. Their guns were either captured British ones or provided by the French. The Gunners themselves were lowlanders, mainly recruited from the Duke of Perth’s Regiment, with a small number of French Artillery providing command and technical direction. Here is a typical detachment of two model guns (representing four real guns). These guns are British 3 pounders (IMEX AWI American guns), the Jacobite crewmen are conversions from that same set, whilst the French Gunner is a conversion from a Strelets Russian Artillery of Peter I set.
The French supplied the Jacobite Army with a number of artillery pieces, including six x 4 pound “Swedish” guns (so called because they were based on a lightweight Swedish design). I decided to model a complete French six gun battery (3 model guns) then I could use these for my planned expansion into the War of Austrian Succession, as well as use the same guns with mainly Jacobite gunners, plus a few French crew, for my Jacobite Rebellion set-up.
I based my “Swedish” French guns on those described in the Kronoskaf Seven Years War website (http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=French_Artillery_%C3%A0_la_Su%C3%A9doise) with gun colour, horse furniture and drivers uniforms as per the print from the New York Public Library below:
I have a number of scratch built mortar and ammunition carts for my 18th Century British and Jacobite Armies, so I thought that I would post this blog to show how I made them. This one is carrying a Coehorn Mortar.
As readers of my blogs will be aware, my current project is a scratch built modular system of Siege Works. I covered the principles behind this in my earlier blog Siege Works. I have now completed the first of my siege gun and mortar batteries, so thought I would describe how I did this.
My British Siege guns are made from the longer gun barrels from the Hät Sailors and Marines set, mounted on carriages from the Italeri French Guard Artillery set. They represent 18 or 24 pounders, and I will use them both for the 18th Century and Napoleonic eras.
A couple of years ago, I made up a PaperTerrain model of a Vauban fortress. This is suitable for both the 18th Century and Napoleonic era. You can see more details of this on my Fortifications page.
I needed some artillery for this, and the only suitable garrison carriages were those of the Hät British Sailors and Marines set. However I thought that the gun barrels themselves were too large for fortress artillery, so I used Airfix French Napoleonic Artillery barrels instead, and assumed that they were short 12 pounders. I painted the gun barrels black to represent iron guns. Continue reading