I have been a bit busy on other things recently, but for the last few weeks I have been in Spain so have returned to expanding my Paperboys Jacobite ’45 set up.
I had previously made all of the British Infantry for Prestonpans, as shown here, here and here. The original Paperboys figures are 28mm high and a stand of 4 infantry is 40mm wide. I wanted my stands to be the same width as my plastic 1:72 figures (23mm high) which have a frontage of 15mm per figure. I therefore reduced the Paperboys scale to 70% which gave 4 figures (20mm high) on a 30mm wide base. My plastic figures are on a 1:30 ratio but by modelling the Paperboys on a 1:15 ratio they cover exactly the same frontage as my plastic units.
I made the cavalry on the same principle as the infantry. At the reduced 70% scale each stand of three cavalry has a 30mm frontage. My plastic Squadrons on a 1:30 ratio have 3 figures with a 60mm frontage (20mm per figure). I therefore made my Paperboys Squadrons on a 1:15 ratio as 6 figures with exactly the same 60mm frontage. The cavalry bases are 20mm deep.
I only modelled them in one rank and each Squadron has one 3 figure stand, one two figure stand and one single figure. This allows figure removal, which I like.
I copied and pasted from the original Paperboys to make one sheet for each Regiment. This shows 13th (Gardiner’s) Dragoons. I used the Paint programme to add their green facings. Their Standard is the same one I used for my plastic figures, I copied pikes as a flagpole and there is a hand beside them to stick over the flagpole.
I also made dismounted dragoons from the free Extras sheet.
Here are 13th Dragoons in a Line of Squadrons.
I wanted to have tethered horses for when my dragoons dismount. I made these by converting a dismounted dragoon as a horseholder, moving his musket to a resting position then copying three horses from those intended as casualty markers on the original Paperboys Dragoons sheet.
I then used the Paint programme to tighten these up into a Dragoon horses and horseholder stand.
I made a sheet of these dismounted dragoon horses and horseholders, to cover both 13th and 14th Dragoons. Each Squadron has one stand of three horses, one of two horses and a single horse. The 14th Dragoons single horses are at the bottom of the sheet since there was not enough room to put them at the side.
Here are 13th Dragoons dismounted. Each Squadron has two figures holding the horses and four dismounted dragoons. I did consider modelling one of the dismounted pairs of dragoons as a command stand, but since I have not done that with my plastic figures, I did not do that with my Paperboys either, although I might reconsider that. The 13th and 14th Dragoons did not dismount in any of the actions they were involved in during the Jacobite ’45, but the 3rd, 10th and 11th Dragoons did at Clifton so it is a capability which I wanted all of my British Dragoons to have.
Here is the sheet for 14th (Hamilton’s) Dragoons, who had buff facings in 1745. The original Paperboys dragoons have white facings, so I used the Paint programme to colour these as buff.
Here are the 14th (Hamilton’s) Dragoons in a column of Half Squadrons (Troops), which was a common formation for movement, both during this era and during the Napoleonic Wars.
Interestingly this works better with my Paperboys Squadrons of six figures, so three figures per half squadron, than it does with my plastic figures which have only three figures per Squadron, so can’t be deployed by half squadrons.
The Dragoons at Culloden operated by half squadrons, not by squadrons.
Finally, here are the 14th (Hamilton’s) Dragoons dismounted.
I am going back to UK in a couple of days so will get back to my plastic figures then.
My next Paperboys project will be the British Artillery at Prestonpans, but that will have to wait until the next time I am in Spain.