Command Sabots

Several of my wargame figures can be used in different levels of command, reflecting history.lord-george-murray

For example Lord George Murray commanded a Brigade at Prestonpans, but after that commanded the Jacobite Highland Division.  He is shown here as a Brigade Commander, wearing Murray Lord George tartan for his jacket and breeches, with a plaid of Murray of Atholl tartan.  He is an unconverted Strelets Jacobite figure.

When commanding the Highland Division, I want to show him on a Command Sabot accompanied by his ADC, Colonel Ker of Graden.

Lord George Murray & Col Ker.JPG

Ker is shown in his Spanish Irlanda Regiment uniform, with a blue bonnet and a Ker tartan plaid.  Ker lost his papers in the aftermath of Culloden and had some difficulty in his status as a Prisoner of War being recognised.  He was condemned to death, but the Spanish Govenment intervened, and he was released, returning to Spain to rejoin the Irlanda Regiment.

sabot-1

 

To make the sabot, I start by cutting out a 50mm circle of thin card and a 50mm circle of 6mm foamboard, chamfering the latter.

sabot-2

 

I place both figures on the foamboard and draw a line around their bases, extending this as straight lines to the front of the sabot for the commander and rear of the sabot for the ADC.  I then cut out those sections of the foam board.

 

 

sabot-3

 

 

I then put the cut out sections of foambord and the figures in place on the thin card circle, to check it all fits, making any adjustements o the foamboard if necessary.

 

 

 

sabot-4

 

I then glue the foamboard sections to the thin card base, using Pritt Stick (a spirit based glue would melt the inner section of the foamboard).  It sets within a few seconds, so then I start welding pieces of plastic sprue all over the upper surface of the foamboard.

sabot-5

 

I extend this plastic covering over the sides of the sabot.  The hot plastic can slightly melt the foamboard, but it sets very quickly so then a second layer can repair that.  I also build a sprue bridge between the two sections of foamboard.

 

sabot-6

 

 

The next step is to check that the figures can slide into the sabot, making adjustments if necessary.  I then put one figure in place and weld an additional layer of plastic sprue around the top of his slot in the sabot, so as to create a lip to hold the figure lightly in place.

 

 

sabot-9

 

The completed sabot now looks like this.  The plastic sprue shrinks slightly as it cools, which can cause an upward bend in the model.  To prevent this, whilst it is still warm, I bend it back to the proper shape, and it sets within a few seconds.

 

sabot-11

 

 

I put a label on the base to say who the Command Sabot represents.  This has an ink frame but I fill it in with pencil, so that the same sabots could be used for different commanders.

sabot-12

 

 

Finally I paint the sabot all over, with the same Humbrol Matt 76 dark green paint which I use for all my bases.

 

 

sabot-13

 

Here is a picture of the completed 50mm Divisional Command Sabot and its figures.

I use 60 mm Command Sabots for Corps Commanders, with three figures on them.  My current 18th Century Army Commanders are all at that level.

In the future I may create 70mm Command Sabots for Army Commanders, with four figures on them.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s